Skip to main content

Routines

So, the last few days I have been contemplating setting up a real routine for my day. We have our "general" routine, but it is definitely not super structured. I don't want it to be super structured either by any means, but I think we (I really mean "I") would benefit from having more of a layout for our day. So my question is, how many of you have a "real" routine for your day. And (be honest) how many days out of the week do you feel you really get to follow it? Is it worth it to have it really listed out for what your day will look like?

My biggest thing is that I want to get up before the kids do. I would like to work on my meditating, do some exercise and of course, take a shower. But, I am horrible at waking up in the morning! I used to be relatively decent at it when I worked, but it has totally gone down the drain since I became a stay at home mom. So, I really need to work at it. How many of you religously wake up before your kids? Is it worth it? Do you pay at the end of the day being overtired?

So here is my tentative schedule, and I would like to start it next week on Monday:

5:45 am - Get my lazy butt out of bed.
6:00 am- meditate/read
6:30 am- exercise
7:30 am-Shower
8:15 am-Kids usually wake up
8:30 am- breakfast
9:00 am- Clothe the children
9:00-10:00 am- Play time, free time, "mommy on computer for a little bit time"
10:00 am- Shelby's nap
10:00am-11:00 am - Clean/prepare for dinner/Figure out lunch....
11:00 am- Craft/playdough....with the big kids
11:30 am- Free time/read/practice Brady's writing
12:00 pm - Lunch and Shelby wakes up
12:30 pm - 1:30/2:00pm - Free time
1:30pm/2:00pm- Kids nap
4:00 pm - Kids wake up from nap
4:00 pm-5:00pm - Free time while I make dinner
5:00pm- 6:00pm - Dinner
6:00 pm-6:30pm- Clean up
6:30pm Shelby goes to bed
7:30pm Halle goes to bed
8:30pm Brady goes to bed

I guess that doesn't look so bad?!! It's just a tentative one I've been playing with in my mind. Suggestions are welcome, I'll give a few key "heads up" items about myself first though. I am really laid back when it comes to serious things like education for example. Now, I know that sounds awful in writing! But I just mean that I don't think my child needs to know more than what they need to know at their levels of understanding and so on and so forth. That does not mean that I don't challenge them, or teach them, it just means I don't expect them to speak 4 different languages, play the violin, count to 1,000 by tens....Yes when they are young it is a wonderful time to play with all different areas of their brain, but in all I've studied about the brain, is that our brains are not 100% matured until our early 20's. So why expect them to be genius's at every thing? I want them to have fun, and play and learn. So in short, I don't overload them with the pressures of more things they need to know, just what they need to know for now!

I hope that didn't sound weird. But you know...

So! Please let me know what your days look like and if you have implemented routines into your day and how you like it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't believe you aren't going to teach your child 4 different languages! I mean, HELLOOOO, what kind of mother are you? No Chinese? No Croatian? No Swahilli?

(um, since I can't even spell half those words, I shouldn't talk)

I looove making schedules for my life, but I am going to be in MAJOR trouble as a mom, b/c I can't even keep a routine for ONE PERSON...so, please, keep me posted on your secrets and tips along the way! :)
Ehlan said…
I totally struggle with routines--especially during this phase of having a newborn again! I have gone back and forth with being very scheduled to very relaxed depending on how Olivia is doing!I was just thinking that I want to create a more organized schedule too--you've inspired me! Check my blog soon for my detailed routine! :) I think your routine looks great though. I'm jealous at how much your kids sleep! :)
I have to say that you are fortunate that your children sleep in so late... mine are up about 6:30am which doesn't allow much time "before they wake" for me to do anything. But I too, will post a detailed version of our "flexible" schedule on my blog tonight...check in!
And as for yours...it looks great, but I think you are underestimating times bit...or maybe it's just because i have 4 that things take longer!
Miss said…
I often give myself a "general" timeline to go by each day. Sometimes written (if I have alot to do) sometimes only in my head and then at least one day a week i have ZERO timeline in my head. at all.
I dont function real good when I have to go from one thing to the next. Sometimes I need to switch them around b.c of an urgent email from a client or a friend calls to have lunch or a child needs to go to urgent care.

I say, only give yourself what will ENCOURAGE your day, not defeat you! =)

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a