Skip to main content

A picture, a moment.



My husband and I went to Mexico last February. This was our last night there. Or was it?

We had not gone on a vacation in 10 years! This photo is unique and amazing in so many ways. I had gotten a new camera, and all vacation, I would mess around with new settings.

What time of day was this?

Looks like a sunset right?

It's not! It was a sunrise! I  had some strange setting, that I have not been able to replicate. But it made this look like our last night there, but it was our last morning. I awoke early so I could be on the beach when the sun came up.If I could keep a memory that included sense of smell, feeling, sound, and sight, it would be this, wrapped with a bow.
I was the only one out there in the early hours, which was amazing in and of itself. I took a lot of other shots by the water, and a little while later when I was heading back, I turned around, and took a shot off the upper patio of the resort. And this is what I got. It is my favorite picture. 

One, because I know its secret. Two, because we had the best vacation ever.  You only live once. We scrapped and saved for this. We felt guilty about it because you know, we have 3 kids, a mortgage, two full time jobs, bills, etc, etc.  But, I had never felt more alive, and more relaxed all at the same time. This picture sums up both of those feelings. 

It also is a reflection of this man, Aldous Huxley, who discusses the art of seeing:


 Huxley's statement, "The more you know, the more you see"

Life isn't how many friends you have, or how busy you are. It is not a competition with everyone else. It is waking up in the morning, strolling out onto a beach, and being happy with you. It's a lesson I have to remind myself on a daily basis. Some days I am better at it than others, but I'm only human. Which then reminds me of a song:

Pictures remind me of times we want to keep, that's why we take that moment, and stop time. Moments in every tiny pixel in the picture of our life are the moments that define us.

What picture will you take today?  Make it memorable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a