Skip to main content

A tribute to food

I love food. It is something that I will never part from, so help me God. I believe that when I taste some amazing dish, it's like tasting a little piece of what my soul will feel like when I enter the pearly gates. And the other day, I had reached the closest my soul has ever felt, to those gates, than I have in a while. Here is what that meal tasted like, in words, to me.


I sat down at the table ready and willing to take on whatever might lay in front of me. My plate, was not so much a plate anymore, but a deep cavern ready to be filled with spoonfuls of warm masses of energy, ready to nourish my body and soul. As I started to lift each unkown dish and place a part of it on my plate, my mind prepared my senses for what was about to happen. I poured my white wine in to the glass and immediately smelled it's light fruity aroma. As I reached for my knife and fork, I began to cut the juicy melt -in -your- mouth pork tenderloin, rubbed in a rusty orange mixture of spice topped with a I- don't- know- how -you- did- it, but you- did -it brown sauce. And as I ever so slowly ground the meat and felt the juice and sauce and muscle mix around I thought this is the most wonderful cut of pork I have ever had, there's no way everything else can be just as good. Well, it was. I thought I would cry tears of joy and disbelief as I ate the small golden potatoes with bacon. When I thought they couldn't get any better, I was told to top them with a sour cream truffle sauce. Oh - My- Heavenly - Mother - Mary - And - Jesus- And St. - Peter too. If it had not been from years of minding my manners that were early ingrained in my head, I would have taken that beautiful bowl of sour cream truffle sauce and licked like a dog licks gravy off the floor during Turkey Day. I was in heaven. I knew right then what I will feel like when I go to heaven. My soul will be light and creamy with a bite. I cannot even describe the taste of this sauce, but I know it would be my demise. For it is my soulmate, and I would wish never to part from it, but, and here is my sordid fate, I do not know how to make it. Which, I hate to say, is a good thing. Of course, the leafy purple and green tossed salad with almonds, cranberries and blue cheese with a beautifully tangy vinagrette was amazing as was the kale, but my mind could not be pulled away, nor my tastebuds, from my sworn true love, the sour cream truffle sauce. I love you.


And this all would not have been possible were it not for it's maker. Thank you Erick. I am forever in your debt. You introduced me to my match. Or you're the devil....not sure yet.


P.S. I can't wait till I am just my soul. Because souls can't get fat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh you make me laugh! I heart you Megan Bergman :)

P.S. Now I'm STARVING thanks to you!

P.P.S. Great writing!
Anonymous said…
Isn't my husband amazing!? Megan this is just the beginning. You just wait:)
OK...come on!! That is just downright cruel to those among us who {heart} food! I am jealous and drooling all at the same time...

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a