Skip to main content

My favorite shizoprhenic

"Roses are Red,
Violets are blue,
I'm a schizoprhenic,
... and so am I." ~ Bill Murray in What About Bob

I worked as direct care staff in our very own State Hospital here in Cambridge, Mn for about 4 years. The entire time I worked with a man who has schizophrenia, I'll call him Mr. Peterson. Mr. Peterson, my first day working, I was 19 years old, was physically held down by staff 13 times. Number one, that is a lot of times on an 8 hour shift, and number two, well, the number 13...not a good number. I used to think he was posessed by demons and then later had been told by another staff, "Nope, that's what we call a classic example of a schizo."

Over the years here are the things this man did to me: put poop (yes his own) on the door knobs of our office, threw poop through our little office/medication window, slapped me in the face, jammed a phone in my mouth, slapped me some more, made me (by his behavior) take him down after his bath (so yeah, he was completely naked and wet), threw food on me, and eventually, threw a cup of his urine all over me. To others he's taken chunks out of there skin via biting, scratched, head butted, punched, spit in their face, peed on, and well, the list is endless. To himself: cracked his head open I don't know how many times (literally thousands), bit the biggest chunks of his own skin out of his wrists, smacked himself in the face until he was black and blue, took his own eye out the socket with a spoon when in a psych ward, made his nose bleed countless amounts of times (sometimes his finger was so far in there I thought maybe he'd re-adjust his brain just enough to get better), and screamed so loud he's lost his voice.

And through all of this abuse and self abuse, he is one of my most memorable and enjoyable clients I have ever worked with. The day he leaves this Earth, I will cry my eyes out. He's 37, and will not live past 60 years for sure. He had a really traumatic crappy life all before the age of 3 years old. He never had a chance. But he has one of the most magnetic personalitys that I have ever been around, and can have such a child-like enthusiasm, it sucks you right in. Even if he just smacked you.

I still office out on the State Hospital grounds, so I still get to see him every now and then. I got to see him today, and he was in such a great mood! I got to watch him suck on this little, gumby like pink bunny that he had received earlier from his "grab bag". I asked him if he really felt it necessary to torture the poor bunny by sucking it. He laughed and said, "No I guess not!"

He told me about his birthday, he actually went out for dinner which is huge! And he ended up getting to go to another dinner in public a week later. I asked him jokingly how he managed that one and he busted a gut giggling. He knew what I meant.

He wants a pink casket when he dies. I think the song "Afternoon Delight" should be played as well, because I heard him sing it once, out of the blue. I didn't realize he retained "songs" in his memory, it was a neat experience to hear that come from such a maniacal mouth.

So that's Mr. Peterson, the man who can put a smile on my face any old day.

Comments

Ehlan said…
Don't you just love the mental health field? Even the most difficult, get a special place in your heart
Miss said…
i got a bit naseated reading about him popping his eye out of the socket! BLAGH!! But I am glad to hear you love him so much! =)

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund