Skip to main content

Take a break from Facebook...embrace your inner gloriousness!

I am completely and utterly conflicted about Facebook.  I loathe it.  But on the other hand, I love it.  I have been able to keep connected to high school foreign exchange student friends. To loved ones when they lived over seas, or in different states.  For this I am grateful for its inception.  But Facebook causes many issues and disturbances, as we retreat back to our "middle school" days of bullying, drama, and self loathing.  I really do hate Facebook.  But I love it.  I love it for the times I see a new baby born and a "selfie" with the new mother.  All of that love crammed in to one tiny megapixel picture. I love it! 

But Facebook has a way, of taking your thoughts and freedoms of opinion and making them look silly, crazy, or vengeful.  A place where people want to tell us they are brushing their teeth on a Wednesday morning. 
When I took a break from school for 6 weeks, I vowed to take a break from social media as well. I took more than my 6 weeks away from Facebook. 

And it was glorious.  

But soon, my temptation to know what was going on with some of my wayward friends took over.  Also the comments from people while passing each other in the local grocery store, "Hey, I miss you on Facebook!", (which what does that even mean?), began to sway me back to an old familiar routine. Wake up, check Facebook. Morning break, check Facebook. Lunch break, check Facebook.  And so on and so forth.

I hate Facebook.  My challenge to you? Take a break from Facebook. 

 Look around you. It is glorious. 

 It also opens your eyes to how much time you have consumed on Facebook, (even if you tell yourself you're not that bad), and you'll notice even more, how others around you invest their time and worries in to their devices to "check Facebook". It will change your world. And you will realize, we can survive without it.

 But, it can be fun, right?  Take a quiz that if you tell them what color you like and which teeny bopper 80's star you loved back in the day, it will populate an answer for you and tell you if you should have another child or not....

C'mon.

Look, I am not suggesting to get rid of your page. For instance right now, my mom has been battling some serious health issues, and Facebook has been a great way to keep people informed without having to break the bank in your cell phone data plan.  But I am here to tell you, that there are infinite possibilities of magical things you'll discover. 

Such as...

You can be excited in person when your best friend has to track you down to tell you that they are pregnant! Remember that? You got to put your arms around them, squeeze them, lean over and talk baby talk to the fetus that is no bigger than a peanut. But you do it anyway, as you squeal for joy? Yep...you'll be glad you took a break from social media.  

But the fun won't stop there! 

You'll enjoy a whole movie, instead of pausing to ask every few minutes, "Ooh, what just happened? I missed that.", as you look up from your cellular device after checking what Betty just had to say about new coffee mug.

Really people, the list is endless....but you won't know the beauty of being "unplugged" until you take the challenge to take a significant break from Facebook to let the peace settle within. 

So at least once a year, decide to relish in the moment, and put Facebook on pause. 

(Take the temptation away, by going to settings and Deactivating your account, and removing it from your cellular devices, and ipads or tablets. It won't get rid of your account or your page. When you are ready, all you have to do is log back in to your Facebook page to re-activate you same old account)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund