Skip to main content

"Oh what a beautiful morning..."

"Oh what a beautiful day, I've got a beautiful feeling, everything's going my way..."

I love sunny, fresh mornings, it totally puts me in a beautiful mood.

Crisp mornings like these remind me of when I spent a month as a summer staff at the YoungLife Castaway Camp. I knew I was going to be on the waterfront and I was so excited. I was thinking..."Awww, lifeguard for a month. Piece of cake!! I'll sit up there in that chair all day, get a nice tan, smile a lot and be lovin' life." So I get there, get situated in my room with my bunk and head down to the waterfront. I was like a day or two late, becasue by the grace of God, this whole thing fell in to place for me (thanks to Mr. YoungLife Hinkle), and there I was in this gorgeous place, with smiling beautiful people from all over the U.S.

So, then, my lead staff Joe, tells me what I'll be doing. "We are sooooo glad you're here! We thought we were going to be short for the month of June and here you are! And you'll be so excited! Your going to work on the ParaSail Boat!"

Ok! Sounds exciting!! Yeah, well....let's just say it was one of the most challenging months of my life!!! The parasail boat crew was up very early every morning. We had constant rides throughout the day (I did switch off with another gal on shifts), rain or shine -rain w/o lightning that is-!

During the first two weeks. We sunk two parasails to the bottom of that beautiful lake, and tore another two. There were a lot of tears, and many sleep deprived days. But, I made it! I did it! And at the same time I met a lot of great people, reconnected with Jesus, and ate like a queen!

And you know what else? I still got that tan I wanted, and left with a beautiful smile on my face!!

P.S. One day I'll tell you about the time I had to swim to shore from the middle of the lake at 6 in the morning, and the one time the rope broke away from the boat as two of our campers were high in the sky!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What?! TWO parasails sunk? More of them ripped? You had to swim to shore? Megan...we should NEVER hang out. Not because I don't love you to pieces, but because we would be walking disasters together! :) I'd love to hear taht story of how you swam from the middle of the lake...yikes! That makes me miss YL...and being tan.

PS. GREAT GREAT to see you on Sunday...you looked beautiful.
Kristen said…
I miss YL! and WL. I remember the time when you went with us to Castaway as a WL leader. Great fun! I think I was in 8th grade...crazy how it seems so long ago! It was probably right before you got married! OH how time flies!
Miss said…
thats awesome! and I love the name "Mr. younglife Hinkle" haha

I didnt know you spent a month there. That is the one YL experience I never had (actually summer staff or work crew). I cant wait to hear the story of you swimming from the middle of the lake!! HAHAHA

Popular posts from this blog

There are two kinds of people: Part Two - The non-movers

Coffee cup in one hand, veggie/fruit smoothie in the other. No seriously, that's what I have on each side of me as I write. I'm smiling because of how funny this is, as it seems to also relate to this conundrum of a topic before us. There are two kinds of people, and there are definitely two kinds of beverages.  My caffeinated beverage on my left brings me a one sided joy that I cannot even begin to detail. I love my coffee. And I really do think it loves me back. At least for a while. As I peer out of the corner of my eye to the right, I see the greenish grainy drink to my right. Today the fennel seeds in it do not make it seem as dirty  I mean, like I just gathered them from the dirt without rinsing and sprinkled them in there kind of dirty. Maybe it was the splash of OJ I decided to add to it this morning. Now, I know that this drink loves me. It is good for many aspects of my life. Health, energy, sustenance, power. But I do not enjoy it as much. When I make my coffee

Still here...Day Two.

Well, I still miss my kids horribly. Especially this morning when I heard that Shelby was up alot during the night. She has not been up in the middle of the night in 3 weeks, and it made me feel guilty for leaving her. I felt and feel, like I should be home with them. I know the woman who is watching them, that if she hears even the slightest little peep out of the kids would go rushing in to their room. I really don't want Shelby to get used to someone picking her up in the middle of the night for little rustles and sighs. But maybe I am just anxious, and maybe it is not really that big of a deal. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with my thoughts, my books and my husband. But honestly, I am anxious because I feel like the can't live with out me (don't laugh, besides I know it's over dramatic:)), I haven't even attempted to pick up one of my books, and my husband is driving me nuts because it does not bother him one bit that we are 3 hours away from our little bund

Who did we welcome home TODAY????

Shelby Capri Bergman 6 lbs. 5 oz. , 19.5 inches long May 30th, 2008 10:52 pm I just want you all to know that everything went picture perfect. She's beautiful, she's healthy and she's very content. I don't have a ton of pictures yet, my mom took pictures during delivery and I took some today when we got home, but since we don't have internet at home now, it will be slow coming! I had my membranes stripped at 9:45 am on Friday. Afterwards, Tom and I went to Walmart, Applebees's, my sister's classroom to help move some stuff (I supervised... I was a little sore), and then home. I took a nap and Tom started getting ready for supper. His 4 hour long, grilled ribs...and that is how the story begins! So we keep joking that I am going to go during his first trial run with the ribs. This starts at around 3:30 pm. Then, we run out of propane and start all over a